Monday, January 28, 2008

REPUBLICAN-DEMOCRATIC, THE TRAP OF POLITICS

Someone told me today "If you were not a liberal as a teen, you had no heart", "If you were not a conservative by the age 30, you had no brain." I see truth in this statement. Throughout the years I have witnessed a slow but tangible change in my own political views. Although I continue to holster many liberal stances, and still view myself as a Democrat, my needs in life have changed, so too has my political beliefs. For instance, at 20 I could not understand why we as a nation do not simply give the homeless money, food, shelter, etc. Even though this humanitarian belief is commendable, it is equally naive.
Gun control. At 20, I saw no reason for me or anyone else in the United States to carry a firearm. I had no use for one, and growing up in the San Francisco Bay area, hunting was not something we did. Firearms were only found in ghettos and meant violence. Now, I see the right to carry a firearm is not simply about just carrying a firearm, but a fight to preserve the rights of the constitution.
Does my current or past belief system make me a Republican, Conservative, Liberal, Demoratic, Libertarian? Ultimately these distinctions or classifications are irrelevant. For it is these classifications that restrict new thoughts and beliefs. I like most Americans do not fit perfectly into any of these categories. We have our own belief systems brought about by our own experiences.
I suspect that no matter what an individuals political philosophies may be, Americans political desires are not as far apart as politicians may lead us to believe. I hope it is this change and open mindedness that will serve as the catalyst towards America's growth.

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. ~Andre Gide

No comments: